Braised Pork with Hoisin Sauce
Tender and flavoursome! A sumptuous meal for a family of 4 or more and is a treat requiring effortless preparation!
YOU’LL NEED A DEEP PAN OR CROCKPOT.
- 4 pork shoulder steaks (cut in big chunks and seasoned with salt and pepper)
- 1 pack of chestnut mushrooms
- 1 pack of ready-to-use chestnuts
- 2 small carrots, 2 potatoes (chopped in chunks)
- Thumb size ginger and 2 cloves of garlic
- Splash of Shaoxing wine or dry Sherry
- Sliced leek, celery leaf and coriander to garnish
- 2 heaped tbsp of Mei’s Miso & Plum Hoisin Sauce
- 2 tbsp each of light and dark soy sauce
- Heat 1 tbsp of cooking oil in the deep pan in medium heat, sauté sliced ginger and crushed garlic until fragrant then discard. Gently fry pork pieces in the same pan until light brown, add a splash of Shaoxing wine and 1 tbsp of brown sugar, and the SAUCE, stir well.
- Add 2 cups of hot water in the pan and then mushrooms, carrots, potatoes, chestnuts bring it to boil.
- Transfer the content to a crockpot to slow cook for 1 hour at high setting, and further 45 minutes at low setting. (For oven cooking, transfer content to a heat proof casserole dish cover with foil and cook at 180 degree C for 1hr then turn heat down to 160 degree C for further 45 minutes)
- Check pork pieces for tenderness, garnish and serve on steamed rice or noodles.