Chinese New Year Celebration dish
- 200 g Frozen tofu cut into cubes, season with salt and pepper and dust with some corn starch ( Alternatively, marinade tofu with Miso & Plum sauce add extra flavour to tofu, duct with corn starch and shallow fry. )
- handful of variety dried mushrooms or fresh shitake mushrooms, oyster mushrooms and chestnut mushrooms
- 200 g any green and red vegetables (peppers, carrots, celery, cabbage)
- 2 thin sliced root ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- Dribble of rice wine (optional)
- 1-2 tablespoon of Miso & Plum Hoisin sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of good quality Light and Dark Soy Sauce each
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- spring onion to garnish
*Always be careful when cooking nuts in hot oil
- Shallow fry marinated tofu pieces and set aside
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan, add ginger and crushed garlic to the oil to release the fragrance and flavour into the oil. Discard ginger and garlic after 30 seconds if you like.
- Now add all fresh mushrooms and vegetables into the same frying pan, stir evenly, add the sauce and stir well and cook for 2-5 minutes or until cooked.
- Serve with rice or noodles.
Note * If using dried mushrooms, soak mushrooms in hot water for 30 minutes or until soft. Dried mushrooms have more intense flavour and need more cooking time. So you will cook the dried mushrooms in the frying pan first add the soaking liquid and sauce into the pan and cook for 45 minutes, ( Alternatively, slow cooking in crock pot ). Stir in vegetables last until cooked.