Aubergine with Dan Dan Chilli Sauce
Soft, creamy aubergines, greens beans and chestnut mushrooms cooked in a fragrant, richly flavoured sauce made with spicy Sichuan pepper-corns, chillies and sesame paste. Tastes absolutely sensational!
YOU’LL NEED A STEAMER, AND A NON-STICK DEEP FRYING PAN OR A WOK.
- 200g baby aubergines (if using big aubergines half then quarter)
- Handful of green beans and chestnut mushrooms (sliced)
- 100g minced beef optional
- Chopped spring onion, coriander, chillies to garnish
FOR THE SAUCE
- 2 heaped tbsp of Mei’s Dan Dan Chilli Sauce
- 1 tbsp each of light & dark soy sauce + 1 tsp corn starch + 3 tbsp cold water (gravy/thickening)
- Steam aubergines and green beans in a steamer for 15 minutes.
- When ready, add Mei’s Dan Dan chilli sauce in a deep frying pan in low heat to release the garlicky and Sichuan peppercorns fragrant. (For meat option, add minced meat at this stage and cook for 2-3 minutes with lid on. Add a splash of water if needed)
- Add sliced mushrooms into the sauce and cook for 1 minutes, then add cooked aubergines and green beans and stir well.
- Add the thickening to bind all the flavours together and create delicious gravy.
- Garnish and serve on steamed rice or noodles.
Other sauces you might like to try on this recipe: Mei’s Miso & Plum Hoisin Sauce, Mei’s Original Chilli Sauce, Mei’s Hot Dates Chilli Paste, Mei’s Black Beans Sauce, Mei’s Smoked Paprika Chilli Sauce.