Salt & Pepper Squid
Crisp coating tender squid...what a nice entrée to start a feast. Serves on a plate of aromatic crispy seaweed and Thai style dipping sauce.
YOU’LL NEED A DEEP FRYING PAN OR WOK.
- 500g medium-size squid (cleaned weight, thawed thoroughly if using frozen)
- 2 tsp white peppercorns + 100g plain flour
- 4 tsp flaky sea salt + 1 tbsp light brown sugar A few centimetres of frying oil
- 1 packet of Ready-to-eat seaweed
- 2 heaped tbsp of Mei’s Sweet Chilli Chutney
- 1 tsp each of Thai fish sauce + honey Juice of half a lime
- 1 tsp of chopped coriander and mint leaves
- Cut the squid into large pieces, then score a criss-cross diamond pattern diagonally into the flesh without cutting it all the way through.
- Pound the sea salt and peppercorns together in a mortar, then stir into the flour in a large bowl and set to one side.
- Heat 2 inches of oil in a wok at medium-high heat, when the oil starts to shimmer, it’s ready for frying.
- Toss the squid in the seasoned flour, then drop a few pieces to the frying pan at a time. Lift out the curled up and golden crispy looking squid from the oil with a slotted spoon and keep warm in the oven on the baking sheet while you continue to fry the rest.
- Serve straight away on a plate of crispy seaweed, with the dip on the side