Crispy fried chicken pieces and sweet & sour sauce I dare to say it’s the most well-known and loved Chinese dish ever. Hence there are many versions of it. My childhood’s favourite no doubt is Hong Kong restaurant style.
YOU’LL NEED A DEEP FRYING PAN OR A WOK.
- 6 chicken thighs cut in chunks
- 1 small green pepper cut in squares
- 1 small onion cut in squares
- 100g fresh pineapple chunks (optional)
- 3 tbsp Mei’s Sweet & Sour with Pineapple sauce
- Marinade chicken pieces with 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tsp corn starch, sprinkle of salt and ground white pepper. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Ready-to-use Egg flour batter (optional)
METHODpre-heat oven at 180°C for keeping food warm
- Take a deep pan, heat up 1 cup of cooking oil in medium heat for frying chicken pieces.
- To check if the oil is hot enough, drop a little droplet of batter into the oil if it turns crispy nicely in seconds, that means ready.
- Dip the marinated chicken pieces in the flour batter and fry them 3 pieces at the time until brown and cooked through then set aside and continue to cook the rest.
- Once chicken pieces are cooked, pour hot oil into a heat proof container.
- Cook the chopped vegetables with the oil that remains in the pan for a minute in medium heat, add 3 tbsp of Mei’s Sweet & Sour with Pineapple sauce, add 2-3 tbsp water to bulk up the sauce.
- When the sauce is glossy, add the fried chicken pieces into sauce and coat them evenly and turn off the heat.
- Serve on egg fried rice, or crispy fried noodles .